Structural Steel Design
The STRAP steel design module is unique in the wide range of design options and flexibility that it provides.
In addition to designing regular steel sections the program also designs cold-formed (light gauge) and composite sections. The program also includes an unique module that performs an optimization of the structure for sway and drift.
A module for connection design is also available.
Some examples of the program features:
- Unlike other programs, STRAP automatically calculates the buckling lengths for the members:
- A beam consisting of several STRAP members may be combined to a single design beam.
- Intermediate supports may be defined in any direction, on either flange and at any location along the beam.
- In addition to all the standard section tables contained in the program, you can create your own custom sections using a special module that calculates all the required design properties from the section dimensions.
- You may limit the section selection to any section type or subgroup of the steel tables and you may specify min/max section dimension limits for any member.
- Detailed calculations with reference to all Code equations may be displayed and printed for any member.
- Members may be displayed in various colors according to their efficiency ratio.
- The model may consist of hot rolled, light gauge and composite sections, or any combination of them.
- Any type of compound sections may be designed and checked. The program is able to select the most economical section from a group of compound sections.
- Design of single angles about principal axes.
- The program checks the stresses at several points in unsymmetrical sections (e.g. T, L, U etc)
- Calculation of torsion and warping stresses.
- The program supports the following codes for hot rolled and composite sections:
AISC - ASD & LRFD, UBC, BS5950, Eurocode 3, AASHTO - ASD & LRFD, CSA S16.1 (Canada), SABS 0162-2 (RSA), IS:800 (India), NBr8800 (Brazil), GBJ17 (China), AS4100 (Australia).
- The program supports the following codes for cold formed sections: AISI, ASD & LRFD , CSA S136, Eurocode 3 and BS5950